Thursday 9 May 2013

Queen Camellia


Move the last ‘i’and remove an 'e' and you have a novel by the brilliant Sue Townsend. But this post is just more photos from Greenwich Park, including lots of camellias. There are red, pink, yellow and white camellias, and they are so glamorous and rose-like. The foliage is bright and glossy – Jane Packer used it as backing for buttonholes in her book, Jane Packer’s Guide to Flower Arranging.






The leaves of this tree are a silvery-green, which makes me think it’s whitebeam. But I’ve never knowingly seen whitebeam in the flesh before, so I’m not sure.  Rachel and Jo use whitebeam in their work at Green and Gorgeous – see the first two photos in this gallery, with the silvery leaves which goes so well with the white, blue and pink palette.


There were stunning Gold Lace primulas, and some pretty yellow flowers and orange tree flowers that I don’t know the names of. I’d like to grow primulas like these, but they sound like they are difficult to grow from scratch. I’ve had no luck with my lily of the valley, and I wonder if this would be another epic fail!




These are some general photos of Greenwich Park last week. South London, we are so lucky to have this flower garden on our doorstep, free for us to enjoy all year round.