Saturday 1 November 2014

NaNoWriMo

I'm jumping on the NaNoWriMo train this November, as I really need to finish my screenplay. As it happens, the film starts on a train...at least it does in this first draft. I made a good start on it in summer 2013, but lost my mojo and kind of left it untouched ("to compost" as my lovely English tutor at uni would say) for a year.

So this month, as hundreds of thousands of people write a novel, I plan to get a first draft of my little film finished. A friend's baby is due in December, and she wants to read my screenplay before then, which is an added motivator! Today I wrote the opening scenes - I was too scared to write the opening last year - and it's a relief to get it on the page at last. Every film needs a beginning!

If you are doing NaNoWriMo in any shape or form: happy writing. And if you find yourself flagging, I can recommend the lovely people at Write Club (that's @FriNightWrites on Twitter) who do writing sprints on Friday nights - they have a writing marathon planned from 6-8 November.

I didn't need to worry about backing up 30 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment