Wednesday 13 August 2014

Supermoon


I don't think I'd heard of the term "supermoon" until a few days ago. On Sunday night, I went outside to take photos of this giant spectacle that people were talking about, only to see that my view of the sky was obstructed by clouds and the odd helicopter. When eventually I did see the moon, there were too many trees to take a decent photo. I gave up and went to bed.

The next day, I came down early to cut flowers from the garden. I looked for the moon but it was hidden behind clouds. The sky was pretty though.



On Tuesday morning I woke early to the news that Robin Williams had died. I'll post about that separately. I was weepy and unhappy, but while I waited for the kettle to boil, I looked outside. There was the moon, looking clear and bright. I took this photo at 4.40am (ISO 400, f/14, exposure 1/40 sec). Most of the other photos were too bright - I have no idea what settings to use for night photography (as you may have gathered, I like to learn through trial and error), and the moon looked like a glowing star in half of the pictures!


After I'd finished my tea and the sky looked lighter, I went back and took a few more photos at 5.20am (ISO 1000, f/7.1, 1/500 sec).



I tried to get next door's beautiful buddleia in some photos too, but couldn't focus on both of them (f/5.6, 1/320 sec, and the photo at the top of the post is 1/400 sec).


No comments:

Post a Comment