Thursday 11 August 2011

Right place, right time


Last week was my friend’s 30th birthday. She used to be my mentor at work, and is one of the loveliest people you could hope to meet. When I asked if she had a present request, she said she wanted me to do a bouquet for her, which I did with pleasure.


It’s inspired by a beautiful dress that she wore when we saw Fantastic Mr Fox at the London Film Festival opening night (we got a kick out of walking down a red carpet!) – ideally I would have used purple and red anemones, but as it’s summer and not spring, I used lisianthus and vanda orchids.

Some flowers have such great names – the orchids are called Black Magic and the scented roses are called Norma Jeane. They even have a picture of Marilyn on the cellophane wrapper!


As I was carrying them, I was asked about them by some staff who work in the hair salon in Fenwick of Bond Street. They told me that their colleague was leaving later that week, and asked if I would do a bouquet for her. I was gobsmacked and delighted! I asked what she was like, so I had an idea of what sort of flowers and colours to use.


I did a softer and lighter arrangement with pink bouvardia, purple veronica, huge pink roses from my garden, and Norma Jeane roses and garden jasmine to add some fragrance. As I don’t drive and I had to deliver them to the West End anyway, I carefully carried them up on the train and tube – I went mid-afternoon so there was less chance of them getting squashed in rush hour commuter traffic! Judging by the reaction of the lady who ordered them, and the lady they were for, I think they liked them.

I’d gladly recommend the Headmasters Blow Out Bar in Fenwick – the staff are incredibly friendly and talented, it’s calmer than many other salons in Central London, and although they have a menu of styles on the wall, they will happily suggest something a bit different.

And of course I have to thank my friend – had it not been for her birthday request, I wouldn’t have got my first commission!