Sunday 15 March 2015

Mothering Sunday in the Garden Museum


I made some posies yesterday for the Garden Museum's Mother's Day treat - a personal Q&A with Matthew Biggs (of Gardener's Question Time), cream tea in the lovely cafe, and a bunch of flowers and a planted gift to take home.


The beautiful cutting garden is choc-a-block with different narcissi, hellebores, and the promise of tulips.





I think this daffodil is called Pink Pride - what a wonderful name! (And on a side note, I was delighted to see Paul Harfleet interviewed in the Guardian yesterday. His Pansy Project is one of the loveliest and most peaceful acts of defiance I've heard of.)


I filled buckets full of spring flowers, mixing tulips. and sweet-smelling hyacinths and genista (broom) with the daffodils.


Once I'd finished making the bunches, I went to see Liz, one of the museum's talented and dedicated gardeners.


She had finished planting up gifts for mothers/children to take - florists' favourite Narcissus 'Erlicheer' along with violets and something else...ivy, maybe?


She was writing labels for the gifts when I came over. I admired her shiny new hand trowel!


I took some pictures of the knot garden and the spring bulbs that have flowered or are on their way.






There are primroses too - the perfect flower for Mother's Day because they symbolise childhood!


No comments:

Post a Comment