Tuesday 16 April 2013

Dignity and new beginnings



It has been a difficult year so far for many people I know. Friends are losing jobs, two friends lost a parent, and some family members and friends have been very ill. I can only hope that things get better and that everyone finds some peace and happiness soon.

I went to the flower market today for the first time in months. Because the winter has been so prolonged, there were lots of spring flowers which had flowered later than usual. I bought some white muscari, which smells like bubblegum. I also bought white dahlias – I know it’s too early for them, but they symbolise dignity and they were so beautiful, I thought they would go well with the muscari.

I made a few posies in jam jars, a tea caddy, mini milk bottles, and a jug. I added some late-blooming daffodils, symbolising new beginnings, and Oliver Twist pittosporum from the garden.  It was nice to get back in the swing of floristry, and these are exactly the kind of arrangements I love making – pretty and textured, scented, country kitchen style flowers in complementary containers. I do like Tiptree jars and caddies – the labels are so beautiful, I never remove them.





Proof that you don’t need to spend lots of money on flowers: one short stem of muscari and a dahlia bud in a tiny jam jar. Small but perfect.