Friday 13 January 2012

Bridezillas and snowdrops

The US show Bridezillas is a guilty pleasure of mine, although I'd advise any would-be florist against watching it, as it will give you nightmares. I saw an episode today where one bride was told that her favourite flower, the gardenia, would not be in bloom for her wedding. Apart from bemusement at the diva-style tantrum that she threw, my reaction to her insistence on getting out-of-season flowers for her wedding was a) if the gardenias are so important to you, why didn't you (as many people do) get married during the flowering season of the wedding blooms that you want? And b) this is nature. You can't expect nature to fit around your wedding!

My own patience (well, mostly patience) has been rewarded - today I went to the greenhouse and saw that the first of the bulbs I planted last year has flowered. The snowdrops are beautiful - tiny and delicate and white - and although I had hoped, perhaps unrealistically, to have flowers on Christmas Day, having flowers two weeks into January is a lovely start to the new year.
I didn't want to 'force' them, but now they're flowering, I've brought them indoors so they can be seen and enjoyed all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment