Monday 14 November 2011

Heart-shaped box

Two friends of mine from university got married soon after they graduated, a whopping ten years ago. I was a bridesmaid for the first and only time, and I have fond memories of getting ready with the other bridesmaids and the bride in her parents’ house on the morning of the wedding. She was another anti-Bridezilla – we were allowed to choose how we did our hair, and she chose beautiful lilac corset tops and matching long skirts for us, and gave us pretty jewellery. I still have my tiara and necklace from the day.
As this year was a special anniversary, I thought I would make something floral to send in the post. I hoped that a lined heart-shaped box filled with roses arranged in floral foam would survive the journey.
Rather like Kurt Cobain in the song (which the recipients and I listened to many times in our first year at university), these roses were locked inside a heart-shaped box for almost a week, thanks to a very inconvenient loophole in the postal system. I’m not sure what state they were in by the time the time my friends received them! Oh well. Here is a photo of them on the day the arrangement was made and posted – so my friends can see what they were supposed to look like!