Saturday, 10 September 2011

Digs, shoots and leaves

Having prepared a bed for bulbs a few weeks ago, I finally got around to planting the bulbs today. It took me a few attempts before I could use the bulb hole digger properly – I kept digging holes that were too shallow, and when I covered the bulb with soil, I kept upsetting the soil around it. I got the hang of it in the end!

So far I’ve planted muscari latifolium (grape hyacinths), pink daffodils, Thalia narcissi, Yellow Cheerfulness narcissi, Abba and Freeman double tulips, Swan Wings and Cummins fringed tulips, Black and Blue parrot tulips, and Angelique and Mount Tacoma peony tulips. (I’m aware that I’m mixing up my Latin and common names.) There’s still room for some more bulbs, so it’ll be another trip to the garden centre next week.

An update on the bulbs I planted in the greenhouse: I went to water them and saw that the ranunculus have started growing shoots! This is promising...